Garden Rhubarb (Rheum rhabarbarum)
“Pet poisonous” – Toxic parts: leaves Rhubarb ( Rheum rhabarbarum ) is a species in the family of abrasive plants . Rhubarb is a vegetable in which the leaf shafts are edible . Usually rhubarb is eaten as cooked for cream , juice or pie . The rhubarb is very sour, so a lot of sugar is required during cooking, but not necessary. The acidic rhubarb flavor comes from the non-toxic apple acid , which is frequently used in the leaf shafts. Rhubarb contains oxalic acidwhich is toxic in large quantities and causes problems for the kidneys. The leaves contain very much oxalic acid, and are not eaten. Plant breeding has produced varieties with lower levels of oxalic acid. Toddlers or people with kidney stones should avoid eating rhubarb.