Mixing household cleaners can become toxic • Earth.com

Mixing household cleaners can become toxic


Mixing household cleaners can become toxic Today’s Video of the Day from the American Chemical Society describes how mixing household cleaners can become poisonous.

The most common mistake is made when different cleaners are used on the same surface, such as a toilet.

For example, the combination of bleach and ammonia can form a toxic gas called chloramine. Bleach and alcohol mix to form even more dangerous chemicals, including hydrochloric acid or chloroform. Mixing common household cleaning products can cause serious injuries. Be sure to always read the product labels before using household or institutional cleaning supplies. Do not mix bleach and ammonia. Do not mix bleach and acids. Do not use two drain cleaners together, or one right after the other.

“The primary ingredient in chlorinated bleach is sodium hypochlorite, which reacts with a variety of chemicals to produce toxic gases, In general, cleaning products will fall into one of these three categories, so it is a bad idea to mix any cleaning products with bleach,”. Bleach + Ammonia Bleach and ammonia produce a toxic gas called chloramine. “It causes the same symptoms as bleach and vinegar — along with shortness of breath and chest pain,” says Forte. Many glass and window cleaners contain ammonia, so never mix those with bleach.

By Chrissy Sexton, Earth.com Staff Writer

Video Credit: American Chemical Society

News coming your way
The biggest news about our planet delivered to you each day