Why is chocolate so bad for dogs? • Why is chocolate so bad for dogs?

Why is chocolate so bad for dogs?


Why is chocolate so bad for dogs? Today’s Video of the Day comes from the American Chemical Society’s Reactions series and answers the question: why is chocolate so bad for dogs?

Actually, it’s the molecule theobromine that’s found in chocolate that is toxic to dogs. Dogs have a very hard time metabolizing theobromine, as it attacks their central nervous system. Warning signs of theobromine poisoning include high temperature, diarrhea, seizures, vomiting and rapid breathing.

Different types of chocolate contain differing levels of theobromine. Milk chocolate typically only has 60 mg per 1 oz, but dark chocolate has 400 mg per 1 oz. 

Chocolate is poisonous to dogs mostly because of its theobromine content, which dogs are unable to metabolize effectively. Find out which foods that can be toxic and poisonous to cats and dogs. Discover the people foods that can be extremely poisonous if eaten by cats and dogs. Chocolate is bad for dogs because it contains theobromine and caffeine. Theobromine and caffeine is dangerous because of how slowly it breaks down in dogs bodies.


By Rory Arnold, Earth.com

Source: American Chemical Society

News coming your way
The biggest news about our planet delivered to you each day